This project included the refurbishment and extension of the existing dwelling to create a circa 16,000ft2 dwelling.
BSC provided full structural services including below ground drainage with BSC’s services based upon ACE Agreements 1 and 9. BSC’s involvement extended over RIBA stages 3-6.
The development included:
- A large semi-basement containing an indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym.
- A large open plan kitchen and living rooms, with clear spans to maximize the views.
- External infinity pool with hot tub and large entertaining sun terrace
- Granite faced retaining walls and terracing on the steeply sloping site.
- The construction of a new ‘coach house’ with garaging at ground floor and accommodation above.
- Separate guest and staff units.
- Extensive detached executive office suite.
- Renovation and remodeling/change of layout to existing wing.
The basement structures were formed in waterproof reinforced concrete with BSC completing full general arrangement and RC detailing. Significant coordination with the rest of the design team was essential to integrate the services and plant areas, whilst ensuring the structure was sympathetically integrated. Extensive discussion regarding temporary works methods with the Principal Contractor was necessary to create the basement excavation and coordinate the temporary and permanent works.
New wings were designed in granite faced load bearing masonry which were constructed from an RC transfer slab located over the semi-basement below.
The structural aspects for the refurbishment of the existing property, including significant vaulting to the roof, removal of load-bearing structure and opening up, was sympathetically designed and detailed to maintain the aesthetic of the project.
The new build ‘coach house’ included a clad timber framed first floor cantilever out over the semi-basement garage/accommodation below. A detached timber framed garage was also constructed.